Paranasal Sinus(Anatomy)

Paranasal sinuses

Paranasal air sinuses
Air-containing bony-pockets located around the nasal cavity
all lined by mucous membrane (normally respiratory epithelium)
All of them are paired:
(i) Frontal air sinus, (ii) Ethmoidal air sinuses, (iii) Sphenoidal air sinus (iv) Maxillary air sinus.
Functions
(i)Air-conditioning of the inhaled air by adding moisture and temperature regulation.
(ii) Resonating boxes for sound production.
(iii) Making the facial bones lighter.
(iv) Establishing adult contour of face - Teeth and sinus development are responsible for the enlargement of the cranium
Contd..
All the sinuses are rudimentary at birth
 maxillary sinus is the first paranasal sinus to develop
 have two spurts of growth - once at 7-8 years of age (during eruption of permanent teeth)  and again at 14-16 years of age (post-pubertal) Hence a baby's face changes towards adultface during these two phases of growth of the air sinuses.
Frontal sinus
lie between the outer and inner tables of the squamous part of the frontal bone
 behind the medial part of the superciliary arches
are rarely symmetrical
 Each has a triangular shape
Contd..
Dimension : average height, width, and anteroposterior  depth  are each about 2.5 cm.
Sinuses are better developed in males than in female
Blood Supply - From the supraorbital  vessels.
Lymphatics - drain into the submandibular lymph nodes.
Nerve Supply - by supraorbital nerves (hence pain of frontal sinusitis may be referred to the skin of forehead and adjacent scalp).
Contd..
DRAINAGE - into the ethmoidal infundibulum of the middle meatus of nose either directly or via the frontonasal duct
`
SURFACE MARKING –
The surface projection of the sinus is triangular.
 angles formed by the nasion,
a point 3cm above the nasion
 a/ point at the junction between medial 1/3rd and lateral 2/3rd of supraorbital margin
MAXILLARY AIR SINUS
Largest of all the paranasal sinuses
Lies in the body of maxilla
roughly pyramidal with a base directed towards the lateral wall of nasal cavity and an apex directed laterally into the zygomatic process of the maxilla
DIMENSIONS - 35 mm (vertical) x 35 mm (depth) x 25 mm (transverse)
The size of the sinus is variable
Contd..
ROOF :
formed by the orbital plate of maxilla which is grooved by the infraorbital vessels and nerve.
ANTERIOR WALL- formed by the anterior wall of the body of maxilla.
POSTERIOR WALL –formed by infratemporal surface of maxilla
Contd..
FLOOR : lies about 1.25 cm below the level of the floor of the nose
 Alveolar process of the maxilla lodging the molar and premolar teeth  even canine supports the floor
 In some cases the floor is perforated by the roots of the teeth and extraction of any of them may damage the floor of the sinus.

DRAINAGE -
drains into the middle meatus of the nose just below the bulla ethmoidalis through the floor of hiatus semilunaris due to the elevator –like action of the cillia lining the mucous membrane.
Usually there are two communicating apertures.

Contd..
These apertures being present in the medial wall of the sinus, i.e., much higher from the floor level, there is disadvantage for normal drainage of any collection within the sinus
In the articulated skull the large-sized maxillary hiatus is much reduced in size because ofencroachment by different bones
SURFACE MARKING
The surface projection of the sinus is a bit irregular.
upper limit - represented by a transverse line just below the inferior orbital margin.
lower limit - represented by another transverse line drawn just above the alveolar process of maxilla.
lateral limit - at the zygomatic process of maxilla, and
medial limit -at the lateral wall of the nose.

Arterial supply –facial and greater palatine  arteries
Venous drainage- facial and pterygoid plexus of vein
Lymphatics - They drain into the submandibular group of lymph nodes.
Nerve supply - By the anterior, middle and posterior superior alveolar nerves (CN V2) (hence pain of maxillary sinusitis is often referred to the upper jaw and teeth).
Sphenoidal sinus
Lie within the body of sphenoid bone
Right and left sinuses are separated by a septum
Are usually unequal size
Relation :
Superiorly- optic chaisma, hypophysis cerebri
Inferiorly- nasopharynx
Laterally – internal carotid artery and cavernous sinus
posteriorly – pons and medulla
Contd..
Each sinus opens into sphenoethmoidal recess
BLOOD SUPPLY - By the posterior ethmoidal vessels.
LYMPHATICS - They drain into the retropharyngeal group of lymph nodes.
NERVE SUPPLY - By the posterior ethmoidal branch of nasociliary nerve.
Ethmoidal sinuses
3 to 18 in number on each side
 lie within the labyrinth of ethmoid bone
Lie between the upper part of nasal cavity and orbit
Divided into anterior, middle and posterior groups
}  Anterior ethmoidal air cells
1-7 in number
The most anterior one may encroach upon the frontal sinus
Open into anterior part of hiatus semilunaris
Supplied by anterior ethmoidal nerve and vessels
Lymphatics -drain into submandibular lymphnodes
Middle ethmoidal air cells
less than three in number
 They open into the middle meatus by one or more orifices on or above the ethmoidal bulla
Supplied by anterior ethmoidal nerve and vessels & orbital branches of pterygopalatine ganglia
Lymphatics – submandibular lymphnode
Posterior ethmoidal air cells
1- 7 in number
Open into superior meatus of the nose
Supplied by posterior ethmoidal nerve and vessels and orbital branch of pterygopalatine ganglia
Lymphatics – retropharyngeal lymphnode
Applied anatomy
The maxillary sinus may get infected from a carious tooth.
 As the air sinuses are underdeveloped or rudimentary, one must be skeptical about a diagnosis of sinusitis in a child less than 5 years of age
Secretions draining out of the frontal air sinus flow towards the maxillary hiatus- frontal sinusitis often leads to maxillary sinusitis
Pituitary tumours are commonly approached via the sphenoidal sinus (transnasal approach).

Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS).

Comments

  1. I’m Katty morgan from the States.I want to use this medium to appreciate Mrs Julia for coming on the platform to share her experience with Dr osuma i have been online looking for a genuine remedy to my illness of 5 years HIV until i read Mrs Julia post.As we all know these days the truth is rear so i didn’t want to believe Mrs Julia until a second taught asked me to.I contacted Dr osuma as directed by Mrs Julia and follow the procedures and everything worked out in a brief.I thought there was no actual cure for HIV until a little trial convinced me.i was cured after 3 weeks of usage of Dr osuma great herbal medicine,he has a cure for what so ever health challenging issue HIV,TB,VERTEBRAL ISSUE,CANCER,DIABETES,ISCHEMIC DISEASES,STROKE,RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS,PULMONARY DISEASE,ALZHEIMER”S DISEASE,DEHYDRATION,CIRRHOSIS ETC.You can contact him via his Email (drosumaherbalcure@gmail.com)or his whats-app number +2349054914348

    You can as well go through his website (http://drosumaherbalcure.weebly.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR agaba helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on : Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete
  6. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let us unit together and eradicate HERPES... Anyone who still thinks there is no cure for herpes should deviate from it because Dr.Momoh Herbal Cure who owns an herbal business has the cure. He uses roots & herbs to cure these diseases. I am a living testimony. He cured my herpes permanently and helps my daughter in getting pregnant after 10 years of bareness. He said he also has cure to hepatitis B, Cancer, Diabetic, STD, HPV, erectile problem, epilepsy and other diseases. email him:DRMOMOHHEALERTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM Whatsapp: +2348166979481.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr Itua cures my HIV, I have been an ARV Consumption for 10 years. I have been in pain until I came across Dr Itua on a blog site. I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location I explained everything to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cure me, he gave me guarantee, He asks me to pay for items fees so when I'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua. I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days. Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work. My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and the rest of my friends did too, Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what I'm talking about if you have the same problem I was having then not now though. I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center. I have his calendar too that he recently sent me, He Cures all kind disease Like, Cancer,Weak Erection, Wart Remover,Hpv, Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease, Heart failure, Multiple Sclerosis, Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv, Hepatitis B, Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, Epilepsy,Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Brain Cancer, Lung Cancer, Infertility,Parkinson's disease, Lung Cancer, Breast Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Blood Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Epilepsy disease, small-round-cell tumor Diabetes,Celiac disease, Ataxia, Arthritis, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio, Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma, Asthma, Allergic diseases.Hiv/Aids,Herpe ,Copd, Glaucoma, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease, Enlarged prostate, Alzheimer disease,Dementia,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back. Here his Contact. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's one of the best blogs i came through. Buy Calcium Lactate Gluconate - For Reverse Spherification (E327 + E578) is used as a catalyst in the reverse spherification process for liquids high in acids and alcohols in conjunction with sodium alginate when making spheres.
    calcium lactate price

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Separating Medium

Chemical Stages of Polymerization of Acrylic Resin

Manipulation of Gypsum Product