White Cells Disorders



White Cell Disorders
•       Leukocytosis
•       Leukopenia
•       Leukemoid reaction
•       Leukemia
•       Myeloproliferative disorders
Leukocytosis is a raised white blood cell count (the leukocyte count) above the normal range
•       white blood cell count greater than 11,000/ mm3 (11.0 x 109/L)
•       Common in a variety of reactive inflammatory states caused by microbial and nonmicrobial stimuli
•        Nonspecific and can be classified on the basis of the particular white cell series affected
Classification
•       Neutrophilia
•       Eosinophilia
•       Basophilia
•       Monocytosis
•       Lymphocytosis
Neutrophilia
•       Pathological
–      Acute bacterial infection (pyogenic organisms)
–      Inflammation
§  Myocardial infarction
§  Burns
–      Corticosteroid therapy
–      Leukemia
•       Physiological
–      Pregnancy
–      Severe exercise, stress
Eosinophilia
•       Parasitic infestation
•       Allergic disorders such as asthma, hay fever, allergic skin diseases (e.g., pemphigus, dermatitis herpetiformis)
•       Drug reactions
•       Certain malignancies (e.g., Hodgkin disease and some non-Hodgkin lymphomas)
•        Collagen vascular disorders and some vasculitides
•       Eosinophilic leukemia
–      Blast in blood or marrow
–      Cytogenetic or molecular evidence of an abnormal myeloid clone
•       Idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome
–      Release of contents of eosinophil graqnules results in damage to heart, lungs and other organs
Basophilia
•       Myeloproliferative disorder
–      Chronic granulocytic leukemia
Lymphocytosis
•       Tuberculosis
•       Brucellosis
•       Chronic lymphocytic leukemia
•       Typhoid
•       Pertussis
•       Infectious mononucleosis
•       Cytomegalovirus infection
•       Infectious hepatitis
Monocytosis
•        Tuberculosis
•       Bacterial endocarditis
•       Rickettsiosis
•        Malaria
•       Collagen vascular diseases
–      Systemic lupus erythematosus
•       Inflammatory bowel diseases
–      Ulcerative colitis
Leukopenia
•       Leukopenia results most commonly from a decrease in granulocytes
•        Lymphopenias are much less common
•       Neutropenia
•       A reduction in the number of granulocytes in blood is known as neutropenia
•       Total white cell count is reduced to 1000 cells/μL and in some instances to as few as 200 to 300 cells/ul
•        Affected persons are extremely susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections, which can be severe enough to cause death.
Neutropenia
•       Inadequate or ineffective granulopoiesis
–       Aplastic anemia
–      Leukemia
–       Cancer chemotherapy agents also produce neutropenia by inducing transient marrow aplasia
–      Accelerated removal or destruction of neutrophil
–       Immune-mediated injury to neutrophils (triggered in some cases by drugs)

–      Idiopathic
–      Increased peripheral utilization
–       overwhelming bacterial, fungal, or rickettsial infection
–      Sequestration and accelerated removal of neutrophils
–      Enlarged spleen
Lymphopenia
•        Congenital immunodeficiency diseases
•        Advanced human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
•        Treatment with corticosteroids
Eosinopenia
•       Steroid administration
Monocytopenia
•       Hairy cell leukemia
Leukemoid reaction
•       Leukemoid reaction is an excessive leukocytic response which includes leukocytosis of 50,000/cumm or higher with many circulating immature leukocyte precursors.
•       Reaction of a healthy bone marrow to extreme stress, trauma, or infection
•       Depending on the predominant cell, leukemoid reactions may be neutrophilic, eosinophilic, lymphocytic
•       Leukemoid reaction may be seen in tuberculosis, chronic infection,malignant tumors, acute alcoholic hepatitis.
•       Leukemoid reactions may produce a blood picture indistinguishable from CML
•       Serum leukocyte alkaline phosphatase  (LAP) is elevated in leukemoid reaction, but is depressed in chronic myelogenous leukemia
Leukemia (CML)
Leukemoid Reaction
Leukocyte count : Increased
Increased; toxic granules
Basophilia
-
Erythrocyte count : usually decreased
Normal
Platelet count: increased or decreased
Normal
LAP score : decreased
Increased
Philadelphia chromosome: present
Absent

Disappears when the inciting stimulus is removed

Neoplastic disorders of bone marrow
•       Neoplastic disorders of bone marrow hematopoietic cells can be grouped into three main categories:
–      Myeloproliferative disorders (MPD)
–      Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
–      Acute leukemia
•       Acute leukemia: Malignant neoplasm with proliferation of malignant blast cells
•       MPD and MDS
–      Not clearly malignant
–      Autonomous neoplastic proliferation of hematopoietic precursors
–      In MPD pheripheral blood shows increase in erythrocytes, leukocytes and/ or platelets
–      MDS are characterised by peripheral blood cytopenia (except chronic myelomonocytic leukemia)
–      Both MPD and MDS have chronic or acute course and have the potential of evolving into acute leukemia
Definition
•       Acute leukemia
–      Stem cell disorders characterized by a malignant neoplastic proliferation and accumulation of immature hematopoietic cells in the bone marrow
•       Myeloproliferative disorders
–      Hyperproliferation of neoplastic myeloid progenitors that retain the capacity for terminal differentiation; as a result, there is an increase in one or more formed elements of the peripheral blood
MPD:  The neoplastic progenitors tend to seed secondary hematopoietic organs (the spleen, liver, and lymph nodes), resulting in hepatosplenomegaly (caused by neoplastic extramedullary hematopoiesis) and mild lymphadenopathy
–       Association of these disorders with mutated tyrosine kinases
–       Most patients with this disease subgroup fall into one of four diagnostic entities:
§  chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML)
§  Polycythemia vera (PCV)
§  Primary myelofibrosis
§  Essential thrombocythemia

Comments

  1. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Separating Medium

Chemical Stages of Polymerization of Acrylic Resin

Inlays and Onlays